Thursday 9 August 2007

Two arts beating as one

We are not dissimilar. Furthermore - as the first sentence suggests - two negatives can make a positive. Running parallel to the artist’s documented journey towards an exhibition is my own attempt at getting the first part of a book I’ve been trying to write into the hands of an agent. (My central character, I can tell you, is having a bizarre time.) Anyway, like the artist, I also just require some luck. Meanwhile it’s not uncommon to have us wage our separate wars of expression within just a few meters of one another. There is no sectarianism and we are generous neighbours. Occasionally the odd comment is lobbed over but we are much more truth and reconciliation than tar and feathers. Our heads even tilt forward simultaneously when we work, fertile expressions travel each face, and we are interrupted regularly and equally by the little people and their own expressions – a joint exhibition of tirelessness and provocation. No, the only real difference between what I do and what the artist does is physical. The artist for example spends much of her time on her feet while I just sit there like a member of some obscure congregation. It is now just a question of never giving up. Just when I am closing in, though, I must spend two or three days on something else. Still, variety is the life of spice, as we must future our tells.

No comments: