Monday 14 January 2008

The Husband's Artist

How are you?
Bit tired.
What were you doing today?
Working on my roots piece.
Did it go well?
Yep ... (long pause) ... very enjoyable ... (yawn) ... very.
Do you like the phrase 'squeezing water out of a stone'?
I do. Why? (a smile) Is that how it feels talking to me at the moment? (another smile) I'm sorry ... I feel a bit like I'm still in hibernation ... I'm hoping the person I know I am will be out by the end of the week. (a beat) Roll on spring. That's what I say.
What was the last good film you saw?
'Sherrybaby'.
What do you learn about yourself through your children?
That the calmer I am, the calmer they are.
What are you reading?
'On Chesil Beach'.
Any good?
Not sure really ... (gently placing down book) ... it doesn't feel like a rollicking read.
What are your thoughts about your next piece?
I'm really looking forward to starting it. (more alert) It's going to be quite a hard-edged landscape. Quite different to any of the other ones. It's going to be very strange ... but colour-wise very beautiful.
What are your greatest strengths?
My persistence. Following my work through. Sticking to the point, I think. Really thoroughly trying to work things out through my pictures. (relaxedly staring at desert lamp) I'm just trying to challenge myself the whole time.
What is it you notice?
How ... (much thought) ... people treat their children.

No comments: