Sunday 13 January 2008

The Artist's Son

Do you like being interviewed?
No.
Your sister said she wasn't sure if you would be an artist one day. What do you think? I mean, do you want to be, would you like to be, an artist?
No. (long pause as enigmatic 5-year-old continues working on a picture using a pair of scissors, green, red, and black card, white paper, some ink drawing, some writing) I just don't.
Why?
Because I don't. I don't know what I'm going to be. (shouting) Mum, do you have to do something when you're older?
What's that film you've been watching online a lot recently?
It's called 'Wonderful World of Weird'. I like it because there's weird things on it ... (excited; obscure) Instead of birthday cakes you can have a pie and inside there's a letter ... it's just a card.
You draw a lot but when do you like drawing most?
I just do it when I want to.
Do you know what a blog is?
No.
What's your favourite colour?
Black.
What's your favourite painting?
I'll show you it ... (he leaves the room but soon returns) ... I don't know where it is. Anyway, it's all brown, like a square, and there's a black square too. It's in the Rothko Room. Mark Rothko! Stop asking me questions ... (working on picture again) Mummy, if I put this on top of the page it'll be like an aeroplane ... (placing cut-out plane on picture) Can you write 'Aeroplanes'?
Do you think it would be different if your mother wasn't an artist?
Stop.
What's your favourite music?

No comments: