Thursday 3 January 2008

The Artist's Parents

I wanted to sit down at the round red table this evening and interview the artist about what I know is the important influence her parents have had on her art and indeed life as an artist. For over 200 blogs now I have been deliberately avoiding this as a subject matter, out of a kind of shy respect I suspect, a sort of sideways glance, but I was thinking only this morning how now may be as good a time as any to approach this important strand to the artist's life. Anyway, as you can probably tell, the interview didn't happen. At least, not today. Meanwhile I have been in the centre of a very cold capital and the artist has been recovering at home, though not unsuccessfully I might add. I am also aware of the fact a possible visit from a gallerist may come next week and the artist must be recovered fully for this. As a result, she is relaxing for the first time today - the space where she normally works is immaculate because of cleaning - and I feel in no position to take away this precious rest. However, as someone who didn't know his own parents, I feel it's important to add that I have never resented those who do. Also, it is entirely in keeping with the artist's lack of pretentiousness that she not only embraces hers and acknowledges openly their general encouragement, but also that she has made them the subject of her work in the two large portraits mentioned on this site before. No, it is a very big deal, encouragement, and as a parent myself now I am only too aware of its power of invigoration. What I perhaps admire most with the artist and her parents is that while some would have tried to nudge their offspring away from a life so unpredictable and difficult as an artist's, this the artist's parents never did. Instead, I suspect, they watched their daughter's absolute determination and like me were so bowled over by it, so impressed, they simply bowed before it and now, I know, wish it the highest regard. They are just as encouraging to their two other talented offspring too. I tip my hat to them; I really do.

No comments: