Saturday 12 January 2008

The Artist's Daughter

I'd like to talk to you about having a mother as an artist. For starters, what's it like for you living with an artist who is your mother?
(Artist: You can be honest.)
It's exciting. It's ... wonderful. (eating melon) It's very different from other houses here. And it's also quite weird because other artists have studios but we have a sitting room. Also, when she is working, sometimes I like to watch what she's doing. But I don't want to bother her while she's working. And I just like doing normal things like drawing, reading ... just bits and pieces like that. Can we go to another question?
What do you think is the main difference between artists and other people?
Um, I'm not being rude to people who aren't artists, but it's more exciting having a mother who's an artist.
What do you think of the mural your mother did at school?
It was quite strange having it at school at first. But when I got used to it, I thought it was a brilliant idea. And lots of other people in my class loved it too.
When do you feel at your most creative?
It depends obviously ... on what I feel like. But, um, I most prefer being creative when I come back from school ... and at the weekends ... and the holidays.
Have you thought any more about whether or not you might become an artist one day?
Em, I would, but there's lots of other things I'd like to do as well. I'd like to be a gymnast. A swimmer. A journalist. But I can't name them all because I'd like to do lots of different things.
If you had a blog what would it be called?
The Artist's Daughter.
Do you think your brother will be an artist when he's older?
Not necessarily. But I really don't know.
Describe the room. You can type your answer if you want.
Its nice ... (typing) ... to have all of the pictures up when she is working but sometimes the floor gets a bit dirty.

No comments: