Wednesday 23 January 2008

Working towards a wholeness

As I sat on the bright red sofa an hour ago and turned my head, instead of it being my tireless son's eye I caught - he had ducked behind the sofa - it was the artist's new piece on the wall. Like our son, it is still in its infancy, no longer teething but still early-glowing, and the ambition of detail is not only apparent but arresting. This is a good thing from the point of view of the piece, but also in the way it informs all the other pieces. With each piece, in other words, the artist gets closer and closer to a kind of collective detail. Where before the chief characteristic was content, it is now also detail. I have suggested this before but never have I seen it so clearly. Detail as a form of visual respect. Industry as a representation of character. Time as proof of commitment. I wish I could go say more but I don't want to give any kind of game away; not at this early stage. Nor has the artist been lending her hand simply to that: she has been busy on another project and is now the deserved recipient of some early sleep on the aforementioned sofa. Indeed, her head is pressed against a cushion made by her mother and all is still in the house. At least I thought it was until I turned my head a few moments ago and saw our son pop daringly around the bedroom door. He was in his pyjamas and cannot sleep. I hand-signaled with a finger across my lips for him to be quiet. It seems to have worked, leaving me now to rest my eyes on the new piece again. I am entranced, pleasantly puzzled, avid. Physically, I am thinking, while there is nothing strictly speaking of the mandala* about the work itself, it does establish a kind of sacred space and is an aid to meditation.
*Any plan, chart or geometric pattern that represents the cosmos metaphysically or symbolically, a microcosm of the Universe from the human perspective.

No comments: